Date: April 28, 2012
Time: 8:00am till after lunch
Location: Diabetes and Endocrine Institute
Cost: $20 per person including lunch. Preregistration required. Registration limited to the first 120 paid registrants.
It is time again for our Cherry Blossom Festival (Sakura Matsuri Hanami)!
– You will be educated about your diabetes!
– You will be motivated to take charge of your diabetes!
– You will have refreshed your outlook about your health!
– You will have your stomach full!
– You will be licking your lips!
– You will be smiling and laughing!
– Gourmet Japanese luncheon and cooking demonstration by a culinary artist
– Exhibits featuring the latest in diabetes technologies and diabetes management supplies
– Workshops on relaxation
– Special guest speakers
– A fun, stimulating, and highly educational diabetes game show
– Raffle with numerous prizes
The sakura flower, also known as cherry blossom, is the national flower of Japan. The blooming of these delicate and beautiful blossoms usually occurs around the end of March or beginning of April, triggering a nationwide celebration in Japan. The beauty of a sakura is transitory, as the blooming season of these flowers lasts only about a week. Consequently, the Japanese have associated the sakura’s short blooming season with life’s fleeing presence. For these reasons, in Japan, sakura are held with the highest reverence. Ceremonies are held to pay homage to these blossoms which symbolize an omen of good fortune, love and affection, and the transient nature of life.
The sakura is a symbol of hope because the intensity and exuberance of the blossom bestows us with the license to look forward to things to come with optimism and hope.
The sakura is a symbol of humanity because the briefness of the blooming season serves as a reminder that life is too short to waste away and that we must live life to the fullest!
In the same tradition, we hold our 7th Annual Cherry Blossom Festival to pay homage to the sakura flower. Let the delicacy and beauty of these flowers inspire you to renew your commitment to your diabetes and to rejuvenate your human spirit!